Nevada Northern Coach #5
Exhibit Code
#COACH5

Description
Passenger trains were of vital importance at the beginning of the 20th century. They were the fastest form of transportation, allowing the easy movement of people across the country. The Nevada Northern’s trains were no different, allowing the remote town of Ely and the surrounding communities efficient connection with the outside world.
The car now known as Coach #5 started life as the pullman sleeper “Silesia.” Built in 1882 by the Pullman Car Co in Chicago, it was a 12 section/drawing room car (plan 93B, lot 38) for the Pullman-Union Pacific Association. It’s named for a region within Central Europe that lies along the southwestern border of today’s country of Poland.
“Silesia” was withdrawn by the UP Association in April 1898, and was eventually sold to Hotchkiss, Blue & Co of Illinois who dealt with used railroad equipment. It was purchased by the Nevada Northern in early July 1913, and the sleeper was delivered to the Nevada Northern at Cobre on July 23.
Shortly after arrival on the railroad, GMO (General Manager’s Order) 254 was issued August 7, 1913 to remodel the sleeping car. It appears that the car was brought in at the beginning of 1914, and through at least 1915 this work was accomplished. What work this entailed is unknown at this time. “Silesia” was also renumbered Coach #03 in April 1914.
In May of 1916, Master Mechanic H. Selfridge sent a letter to General Manager L.G. Cannon breaking down the cost of converting the “Silesia” to a first-class coach. Interestingly, he mentions that he will not be changing the window arrangement from where they are so as to use the glass already ordered, as it was apparently intended to be a private car. Additionally, an observation end will need to be removed to put a regular vestibule back in. This work was approved as GMO 455, issued June 6, 1916, to convert the car into the configuration it is today.
Two sections were created, one being a smoking section featuring leather seats, and a day-coach section featuring crushed velvet seats. These are often referred to as the Men’s and Women’s sections respectively.
The smoking section houses the men’s restroom as well as a storage closet, Conductor’s closet, and a compartment that once housed a Baker heater (for use in heating the car without a steam locomotive).
The day-coach section houses the women’s restroom as well as a small “lounge.” The entire car was outfitted with mahogany paneling, two sets of stained-glass windows inside and out, and double-hung windows.
Work was completed and put into service May 23rd, 1918, now designated Coach #5, destined for the Main Line Passenger train. By the 1930’s, #5 had become the regular backup to Parlor Car “Cobre” for the Main Line Passenger, generally referred to as the Steptoe Valley Flyer.
Small changes were made to the coach over the years. The Baker heater was removed in early 1936, and sometime after this the oil lamps were removed and replaced by electric lights and fixtures. A removeable headlight for shove moves was installed in the diaphragm of the day-coach end.
By the late 1930’s, despite the money the mail contract brought in, the Nevada Northern was no longer covering costs running passenger trains. Though using self-powered rail equipment was investigated, the railroad made the ultimate decision to replace rail service with more flexible busses.
Interstate Commerce Commission permission was sought to abandon rail service for the busses, of which the ICC agreed. The State of Nevada, interestingly, required the railroad to hold onto some of their passenger equipment in case the busses broke down. Coach #5 was part of the last train on July 31st, 1941, and was retained.
In 1956, the Nevada Northern celebrated` 50 years of the railroad arriving in Ely. As part of the celebrations on September 29, locomotive #40, Baggage/RPO #20, and Coach #5, along with two borrowed Southern Pacific passenger coaches, made trips from the Ely depot to the US-93 overpass and back. It then became that anytime the railroad ran fan trips or passenger extras Coach #5 and Baggage/RPO #20 was part of these trips.
When the museum began excursion operations in 1987, #5 was part of the excursion consist as well as Baggage/RPO #20 and Flat Car #23. Today, #5 comes out for special events and charters, usually paired with #20 to recreate Steptoe Valley Flyer service.
Historical Archive
You can find more information about this article in our Historical Archive hosted on Luma Imaging.
Specifications
Builder: Pullman – Chicago Works
Built: 1882, purchased 1913, rebuilt 1918
Type: Smoker – Day Coach
Weight: 107,900 lbs. (53.95 tons)
Can’t get enough of our Rich History?
If you have any questions or want to request more information for a certain train or equipment, contact us here.